Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week 5, Thing 10: Explore social networks

I looked at all the pages linked on this assignment and I can see where many libraries could find social networks to be a good avenue for communicating with their teen patrons. I mean, these kids are online already, might as well approach them in a venue with which they are comfortable. I don't see as much use for it in my setting, which is an elementary school library serving PreK through grade 5. A lot of our students don't have access to the Internet at home and I don't think they'd get much chance at school to use this type of site. It would probably reach a few of our 4th and 5th graders who like to and have oppportunity to do things online, but I don't see it as anything with a broad base of users at this point.

My opinion on social networking in general is that it's a good thing as long as it doesn't take the place of face-to-face interactions. It can actually facilitate those, such as when my son and his friends set up an "event" on Facebook and invite folks to attend. They can see who's planning on going and even coordinate who's driving or whatever. Since so many teens use it, it can also keep them connected to people with whom they might otherwise lose touch, like high school classmates at different colleges. My daughter can use it to easily keep in touch with some of her cousins, who are spread across the country. Basically, there are good and bad aspects to it, just like with almost anything. (The obvious exception here is chocolate, which is only bad if you are allergic.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

While stalking of your blog, which is obviously hindered by my ignorance of RSS feeds, I saw that you were looking at other library social networking pages. Just thought I'd let you know, Central Falls Public Library has a MySpace page and lots of signs up encouraging patrons to "friend" the library! Check it out: http://www.myspace.com/cflibrary
Toodles.

Cheryl said...

And now that I have shown you the way of the RSS feed, you will be able to stalk with ease!

P.S. I did go check out the Central Falls MySpace. I even read a post by Brady about a project by the ESOL classes.